Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Wizard of Fix

Just came back from an audition for The Wizard of Oz.

Here's how it went down:

I got in, filled out the paperwork, got changed, refreshed my makeup, and took a seat. This particular theater has an AEA clause and there were Equity contracts available. I was SUPER psyched. And prepared. Ready to go. 16 bars were picked, practiced, and rehearsed.

BRING. IT.

I sang well. Glad to be Unhappy from On Your Toes went pretty well. I felt really good about it.

Then we had to dance. It wasn't great, but I was far from the worst.

FAR from the very worst.

By this point I had befriended 2 gals who had a similar look to me. One was older, the other younger. They both sang and danced well. I figured they'd get called back with no problem.

Then they read the names for the callback.

I didn't get called.

Ready for the kicker? The other two girls didn't get called back either.

On the way to the parking lot, the older girl and I got to talking and came to the same conclusion:

It was fixed.

Think I'm bitter and looking for an excuse?

Let me give you an example.

This was, as stated before, an audition for The Wizard of Oz. It is a classic musical. One girl sang a song from a very popular musical that has been gushed about previously in this blog. She was barely audible, and when she was, she was not necessarily in the same key as the accompanist. During the dance callback, she stood in a stance not too dissimilar to a rock.

She got a callback.

This, my dears, was a waste of time. I am never going back to this theater or auditioning for them again.

While I am angry, it is not at myself. My audition was solid and I will use this audition as a confidence booster.

On to bigger and much, much better.

3 comments:

  1. Boo to them! That's very uncool. I'm sorry u had that experience, not from what you learned but because they wasted your time. :-/ You keep at it! How's ballet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a learning experience.

    To be honest, I had a better shot at getting a job by auditioning in NY than at that tiny theater in Jersey.

    Time to look for other possibilities...

    ReplyDelete

Type your comments here