Friday, September 2, 2011

Big Day

Yesterday was all out crazy.
I caught a 6:30 bus to NYC and was signed in to 2 auditions by the time 8:05 rolled around.
All in all, I went on 4 auditions and was on my way home on the 1 PM bus.
Here's how it all went down.
I started at the ArtsPower audition. They were looking for a more legit/non-belty sound. Great. I have that. That's in my wheelhouse. Bring it!
Well, I had the hugest of brain farts and belted. My voice cracked. It was bad. No callback.
So I hauled it to midtown for the Tokyo Disney audition. I went to the room and noticed that it was basically a ghosttown. Where IS everybody?
That's when I spotted Cinderella's doppleganger. She was marking a freshly learned dance routine. There were a few others in the room as well, all dripping with sweat, marking the routine, and donning numbers on their outfit.
The casting call said that there would be a 'movement assessment,' so this was not uncommon. After 30 minutes in a monitorless room and no direction, I left. Why waste my time with what was clearly a hardcore dance call.
That's when I checked my phone. It turned out that there was, literally, an audition across the street for the musical Ghost, based on the movie of the same name. They were seeing non-union actors, so off I went!
Well, I got in and panicked slightly. Why?
Another empty holding room.
Oh no! Don't tell me this is a dance call too!!!
Luckily, it was not. It was merely a very empty audition.
I waited 10 minutes and was seen. It was awesome.
They were looking for a pop singer. That's cool. The problem is that I have no pop songs in my book.
So I made the smartest move I could make- I went for funny.
I ended up singing All The Men In My Life from Evil Dead: The Musical. It's brassy and belty and a whole lot of fun. Casting just looked at me and went, "You're really funny!"
I'll take it.
Then I went to the Equity (union) building to audition for Steel Magnolias. The rumor on the internet was that they were seeing non-union people, so I figured that I had nothing to lose. I also had a monologue ready to go.
I made it up there (after using my headshot as ID because I couldn't find my little wallet in my big, huge bag) only to find that non-union actors were NOT being seen. So I left my headshot and resume with the monitor, thanked her, grabbed a sip of water from the water fountain, and headed back to Port Authority.
I learned a lot about myself yesterday.
My first audition was pretty terrible. My voice cracked. It would have been very easy to pack it in, throw a pity party, and call it a day. Instead, I went to 3 other calls. The last audition I was seen at, Ghost, was for Broadway and I nailed it after running around town all day. I learned that my stubbornness, at least in this case, is an asset and that I am not detered easily.
The whole day, in the grand scheme of things, was a win. So I didn't get a callback because I chose the wrong material and my voice went wonky. So what? I picked myself up and kept going. That's the important part.
Time to regroup today and prepare myself for 3 days of auditions next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comments here