Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Updates

I haven't posted here in a while because, to be honest, I was bummed. Here's the story...

I went to the StrawHat Audition kinda banking on at least 1 callback. I felt confident in my abilities and knew I looked good. However, after having what I thought was a good 90 second audition, not 1 theater called me back. Nobody. Everybody else in my group got at least 1 and I had nothing. It was not a good feeling.

So I went home and bummed around.

I also started thinking about the situation. I can get film and TV parts and I've been lucky enough to be on set for various things. Film seems to come naturally and it's a better fit for me. The director is more hands off and it's not so micromanaged. I like that.

So I decided to take a break from theater to focus on film and TV.

Then I got this casting in my mailbox:

SEX, RELATIONSHIPS,AND SOMETIMES...LOVE

GINGER

LeadFemale / 19 to 40 / Am-Indian, Asian, Caucasian, East Indian, East-In, East-Ind, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Middle-East, MidEastern, Mixed, Multi-Ethnic, Native American, Pac_Islander, Pacific Islander, PacificIsland

Ginger is adorable, totally in love one minute and totally in hate the next , silly and fun


I can do that.

On a whim, I submitted myself for the role. I didn't expect to hear anything back, but I figured it was worth a go.

Imagine my surprise when they wanted to see me for an audition. I went in last Monday and read for them. The casting lady seemed very nice, but the theater seemed disorgainized. Oh well, no big deal.

They asked for a callback on the spot.

I went back in on Wednesday for this callback. They cast me on the spot.

Finally, I got cast in an Off-Off Broadway show!
My first rehearsal was yesterday and it went well. I feel like I stepped in it a bit with the guerilla-style they're going for. I like to know my lines and have some creative input. That's not gonna happen with this show. However, it seems like it'll be a rather interesting experience and I'm willing to give it a go. Plus, it'll look great on my resume.
Even though there's no pay and I very well may get fired from my full-time retail gig, I feel very lucky to have this show. It gave me a gigantic confidence boost. It told me 'you know what? You ARE castable and not this ridiculous little creature that will never get a show.' It's hopefully the beginning of the end of my retail gig.
In other updates, I wasn't seen at all for Sophistry. However, I got the book and it's something new for me to work on.
The meeting with Barbizon went amazing. They really liked me and want to take me on as a shoe model. Yay for small feet and pedicures!
The meeting with the casting agency went well too. They gave me a Nokia commercial to read and gave me direction to play with. It was fun. They liked me as well, so kudos to me for having a great day!
I also saw Billy Elliot on Broadway. It was amazing! Go see it!
Today brings rehearsal from 2-5. We'll see where this goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comments here